Mostly what God does is love you. Keep company with him and learn a life of love. Observe how Christ loved us. His love was not cautious but extravagant. He didn't love in order to get something from us but to give everything of himself to us. Love like that.Ephesians 5

Sunday, October 12, 2014

My fingers hurt typing this


"Chikungunya (pronunciation: \chik-en-gun-ye) virus is transmitted to people by mosquitoes. The most common symptoms of chikungunya virus infection are fever and joint pain. Other symptoms may include headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash."

This is the official definition from the CDC website of the interesting virus I have contracted. No need to worry, it is far from life-threating. But, it has but me in a great deal of pain. I started having back pains last wednesday. I didn't think anything of it until it spread to my shoulders, elbow, and neck on thursday. By then I had informed the family and we didn't jump to conclusions but kept an eye on it. Friday by the time i got home from soccer, it was full fledged joint pain in places I didn't even know I had joints. The fever and headaches Friday night also gave it away. Ankles, wrists, back, neck and fingers are the worst because they are the most used joints so I feel them the most. Saturday we were all planning to go up to the North Shore to go surfing but obviously this wasn't in my best interests. I still wanted to go to the beach and being as stubborn as I am I went to the beach anyways. I took a bottle of Tylenol, my hammock, a huge water bottle and a blanket. I rolled into the car at 7am Saturday and didn't wakeup until we arrived at almost 10. In a matter of minutes I was back asleep in my hammock on the beach. Luke, Chase, Jackie and Vic all spent the rest of the afternoon surfing and we headed back home around 2. We got home right before 5 and i hopped back into bed. I didn't wake up till 8pm that night. All day Saturday I had a fever on and off. I haven't had a fever yet today so that's a good sign, the pain is just as bad though. 
Pray that this virus will leave my body ASAP so I can get back to playing soccer and hanging out at the orphanage like I have been for the past month. I am positive that God is allowing my body to have this so that I can better understand the Dominican's lives and culture. This summer most people got this virus and had to go to work with it so that they could continue to support their families. I can barely get off the couch I couldn't imagine having to go to a manual labor job everyday with this. In these moments of sickness I am even more grateful for where I am. I am blessed to live with a fantastic family who continues to make me laugh in my pain. Vic asked yesterday "Neilly, i know you have Gunya but can we make jokes about it?" There is nothing that made me happier than him asking that. My family knows better than anyone that joking in times of pain of discomfort is my specialty. I get made fun of 24/7 and it makes me feel like I really am at home. I am also blessed to have the access to Tylenol, ice packs, comfort food, and the ability to take time off and sleep, which the majority of people with this virus do not have. 
I truly appreciate your prayers but there are tons of adults and children who need them a lot more than I do right now! I am so grateful and happy where I am right now and I wouldn't change a thing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment